Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Recommendation: Kensington Pico FM Transmitter

We're heading on a long road trip this May to watch 2Poppy graduate from law school. I normally use a cassette adapter in my Maxima, but the Odyssey doesn't have one. So I decided to pick up a FM transmitter, despite the normally bad reviews.

Ultimately designed for the iPod nano, this Pico FM transmitter by Kensington may be small, but it packs a powerful punch. It was the highest-rated transmitter on the Apple.com web site at around 4 out of 5 stars. All the other transmitters had 1 or 2 stars.

It works with all clickwheel iPods and comes in black or white. What's really great about this device is it requires no software. Just plug it into the iPod dock connector, select your FM station, and play. You select the station to use with a clever toggle wheel on the transmitter. Stations appear on the iPod screen. You can store up to 2 presets.

Even on the extremely crowded radio dial in Atlanta, I was able to find a couple clear static frequencies. The sound from the Kensington is fantastic. I hardly hear any static or pops. Even with the volume up all the way.

I think the cassette adapter gives slightly better sound and more volume. However, if that's not an option, or if you don't want to mess with wires, etc. I highly recommend this FM Transmitter.

No comments: