Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Boom Boom Ain't It Great To Be Crazy

iPod HiFiAs if you haven't already heard, Apple announced yesterday their newest addition to the iPod family. No, not the real version of the rumored, faked-up, true video iPod. Now you can get official Apple Hi-Fi speakers specially made to go along with your iPod for the low low price of $349!

Look, I'm sure the sound is awesome. It's nice that it matches the iPod (although, all black speakers would be kind cool). And of course, I'm much more willing to buy Apple products for my Apple products. But I can't help be a bit underwhelmed by it all. Is anything about the speakers even remotely interesting? Haven't other companies been selling these things for years now? The price? And the design? A box? A frickin' shoebox? Would I really want this as a centerpiece of my media system in my living room? It's decided. I need to go to the Apple Store to hear it for myself. That will change my mind. Then I will drink beer and post again. Maybe I'll be more receptive to it.

UPDATE: Just got back from the Apple store and I have to say, it sounds pretty darn good. And I'm even admitting that without beer. $349 good? Sure, if you have it to spare. For me, no, not that good. It does look a bit spiffier in person, but it just looks like a spiffy shoebox, not a frickin' shoebox.

UPDATE2: A very informative review. Makes me want it.

No comments: