Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Friday, October 21, 2005

The new iPod - Wow

New Black iPod
Okay. I was skeptical. Watching TV or videos on a 2.5 inch screen? Come on - way too small.

Went on a field trip to the Apple Store over lunch today and played with the new iPod. It's lighter & thinner. The screen is brighter and more stunning than ever. Even if all you plan to do with it is listen to music, you'll appreciate the larger display.

And surprisingly, watching video is not bad! I could certainly see watching the iPod on a plane, train, bus or carpool. Not sure I would want to watch Gone With The Wind on it, but a 30-45 TV show or video, absolutely.

The addition of black is cool as well - a refreshing change from the white, and not as feminine as the iPod minis. Anyone want to buy my 60GB iPod Photo? :-)

Read the review & comments at Gizmodo.com. Playlistmag.com has some practical information about the new iPod as well.


Get music at your fingertips from the Apple Store.

2 comments:

2poppy said...

I read somewhere (perhaps a NY Times review?) that if you consider that most people will view the screen very closely, in effect, it takes up as much vision space as an average TV would from across the room. Never thought of it that way before, but it makes total sense.

Anybody want to buy a 15gb iPod engraved with birthday wishes from my kids?! Sigh.

2poppy said...

I had the opportunity this weekend to check out the new iPod at the local Apple store. It is quite a stunner, but I'll be honest, I'm one of those rare individuals who would rather not see some things get too small. I hate small mobile phones, but you really have little choice these days. I would never go as far to say I hate the small size of the new iPod, but I do prefer the substantial feel of my 3g over the new one.

One other stupid, irrelevant criticism. I don't like the flatness of of top half of the iPod. The older ones had a nice curved edge, but this one seems a bit too cornered.

With that said, I'd certainly rather have the improved features over my "ancient" iPod (only a year and a half old and it has no color or video and pretty crappy battery life compared to the new ones). But because the iPod life is in many ways about look and feel, I thought I'd throw my picky thoughts in the mix.