Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Monday, October 23, 2006

Happy Birthday iPod!

The iPod is 5 years old today (23 October). I remember my first iPod like it was yesterday. I received my annual bonus and a colleague and I rushed down to the local MicroCenter (there were no Apple Stores in Atlanta then) and picked one up.

$399 and 5GB. It's come a long way. There is a part of me that wishes I hadn't sold that first generation iPod. What a clunky classic. The scroll wheel that actually scrolled, the buttons in a circle around it, and that low-res greyscale LCD screen.

But boy did it reignite my love of music. At that point I had been married for about 5 years and was in the midsts of having our first child. As those of you know, that is all consuming and certainly a priority over everything else. But the iPod made its way into the hectic schedule in a way that was not only easy, but fun too.

I'm now on my 5th generation iPod with video and couldn't imagine life without it.

Wired has a nice, if short, article on how the iPod came to be.

No comments: