Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Review: FastMac TruePower MacBook Pro Battery


The battery on my MacBook Pro died a couple of months ago. Apple wants $129 for a new one, so I was happy to find a battery that was not only cheaper, but claims longer battery charge and life - The FastMac TruePower Battery. It even looks like the original Apple battery. A number of online reviews seem to like the battery, so I thought it was safe.

Well, real life doesn't match brief web site reviews. In the time I've had it, the aluminum cover (which doesn't really match the color of the laptop) on the battery has already peeled off a couple of times. The worst part is that the battery now only holds an 80% charge. I've attempted to contact FastMac on a couple of occasions but have been unable to get through. I'll keep trying and post an update. I hope they'll do the right thing and replace the battery or refund my money.

Update: I was finally able to get through to customer service. They are replacing my TruePower battery with an Apple OEM. No hassle, no mess, no fuss. According to the rep I talked to, they are moving manufacturing of the TruePower battery and they're temporarily unavailable. Have to wonder if I wasn't the only one having problems. Regardless, I'm happy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My battery cover is peeling off also, and it holds only 50% of the charge. I haven't yet been able to get Fastmac to respond to my requests. The battery used to last a lot longer than the original Mac battery, but now it's much worse.

Anonymous said...

I called Fastmac to complain about the "expanding battery" phenomenon. My battery is 18 months old. They said that since the warranty period is over, it's my tough luck. I was angry, because it wasn't that the battery was losing its ability to charge (which is a risk of any battery), it was the shoddy workmanship that made it necessary for me to replace it. The sales people wouldn't even agree to give me a discount on a replacement. I'll never deal with Fastmac again.

Anonymous said...

My battery is now at 86% of original charge, and even that seems an overestimate -- it shuts down, without warning, when the battery level shows just around 50%.