Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

New MacBooks

The details are everywhere, but here's the summary:

MacBook Pro. Unibody construction (I feel like I'm talking about an SUV) makes it smaller, lighter and more rigid. Dual mode nVidia graphics cards let you choose between battery-saving basics (but still faster than Intel integrated graphics) or super-powered performance. Glass trackpad is larger and has multi-finger gestures. No button -the trackpad itself is the button. More on that later. Screen comes in 15.1" glossy with a nice black bezel. More on that later. Firewire 800 port is backwards compatible with Firewire 400(adapter needed) More memory, more hard drive space, yada yada yada. Starts at $1999

MacBook. Two new models. Basically a smaller MacBook Pro - same aluminum enclosure, ports, glass trackpad, etc. 13.1" glossy screen. Starts at $1299 unless you want the old "White MacBook" with none of the new features for $999. No Firewire port.

24" Cinema Display. Looks like an iMac. Built-in iSight, glossy screen, easy hook-up cables to MacBook, stereo speakers, built-in microphone. Even has a MagSafe power cord.

MacBook Air. Marginal refresh. Same sky high price of $1799.

Thoughts - definitely a nice upgrade. I'm skeptical of the buttonless trackpad - Apple does not have a good track record with mice/mouse functions. Glass trackpad I guess is nice, but seems gimmicky. I'm sure when I see/feel it I'll have a different opinion. Glossy screens look great, until you get them into a brightly lit room or outdoors. Would like to see a matte finish option. Graphics card is nice. Easy hard drive upgrade/replacement (under battery) is a welcome change (as I contemplate upgrading the hard drive on my MBP) Overall, these will be popular. It doesn't have enough "holy wow!" for me to trade in my early 2007 MacBook Pro though. Would love a 24" Cinema Display, but at $900, I can find other 24" displays much cheaper. I'm headed to the Apple Store tomorrow to see if they have the new items and will update with any impressions, etc.

No comments: