Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Friday, December 07, 2007

Happy Birthday C64

Man, I can't believe it has been 25 years. My very first computer, the venerable Commodore 64, began my love of computers. I remember sitting in front of the C64 for countless hours playing games, dialing into BBS's with the 300 baud modem and waiting forever for programs to load on the 1541 5.25 floppy disc drive. (LOAD "*",8,1)

I also remember spending hours with my brother programming Mad Libs in basic.

Everything I learned about computers I learned from the C64.

On Monday 10 December 2007 the C64 will turn 25. There is a ceremony on the Computer History Museum in California. Even the reclusive former CEO and Commodore Founder Jack Tramiel will be there.

On The Edge - The Rise and Fall of Commodore - A fascinating and must-read for any Commodore fan.
Play Free C64 Games @ Gametap
C64.com
The C64 Orchestra

Update: As my brother pointed out in the comments, our first computer was really a Commodore Vic 20. But as far as I recall, all we ever did was play Gorf on it and never used it as a computer. But technically, I stand corrected.

2 comments:

2poppy said...

Very first? What about VIC-20? Didn't that come first? I guess it could hardly be called a "computer."

Mad Libs were fun. Decepticons vs. Autobots. Good times.

2poppy said...

Sweet! Gorf! I haven't retrieved that memory in at least 20 years.