Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

iPhone Pet Peeves

TUAW has a list of iPhone gripes. It's been two weeks and the initial euphoria has begun to wear off. I admit to agreeing with some of these, although the 2-3 clicks to get to things i a bit exaggerated I think. Sure, it could be less, but it really doesn't get in the way or really take up that much time. And I'm not sure why people are going into the settings all the time, other than to tinker. Here are my personal pet peeves:


  • No multiple delete function within email

  • EDGE. It's not as bad as I thought, but the iPhone is so much better on wi-fi.

  • Earpiece Sound quality. If the volume is turned up all the way, I get a fair amount of distortion on phone calls. The speakerphone turned up all the way is fine, so I'm guessing the earpiece is just a lower quality component. Not enough to truly impact the experience, but I shouldn't have to hear it for $600.

  • Crashes. Safari crashes on a regular basis as does the mail app. The phone does recover gracefully as it tries to leave things where they were when it crashed, but I'm just not used to crashing apps since I use a Mac for everything I do. At least when the iPhone crashes it continues to work. My Blackberry used to crash all the time and I'd have to do a hard reset each and everytime which usually took about 5 minutes.

  • Slide To Answer. If the phone is locked, and you get a call, you only have one option on screen - to answer the call. You should also be able to decline the call as well. Sure, you can press the standby button once to ignore, and twice to send the call to voicemail, but the instinct is to use the screen.



I'm sure I'll come across a few more over time. It doesn't make me regret my decision in any way. This is a beautiful and elegant phone; both physically and in the software.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check it out!

3Gstore has a solution for getting an iPhone to surf at EVDO speeds! ;-)

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2028/63/

---------------------------------------------------------------------
the EVDO Experts are at http://www.EVDOinfo.com