Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Difference between old 5 and new 5.5 generation iPods

With the new 1.2 iPod updater the 5th generation iPod gets nearly everything the new 5.5 iPod gets with some notable and important differences.

5th Generation iPods updated with 1.2 have the quick scroll feature, gapless playback, game support, 640x480 video resolution, iTS movies, new brightness control.

5.5 iPods offer all of the above, plus a 60% brighter display, longer battery life (3.5 video hours for 30GB, 6.5 video hours for 80GB), more storage for the high end model (80GB vs 60GB), new ear buds and the search-by-letter enhancement.

If I did a ton of cross-Atlantic travel, I'd really want the new iPod for the battery life. I have 8GB free on my 60GB iPod, so I'm not desperate for extra space (yet) and as cool as the search feature is, I can live without it for a while. I'm waiting for the 6th generation iPod anyway.

No comments: