Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Friday, August 25, 2006

More Details on Microsoft Zune Emerge

Microsoft Zune MP3 Player
Microsoft recently filed necessary paperwork for their new Zune MP3/Video/Photo device. The filing offers further features of the device some of which are quite interesting.

DJ mode - transmit music, photos and videos wirelessly to up to 4 nearby users.
Share content - send promotional copies of songs, playlists, etc. to a nearby user. If the user likes the song, they can purchase it from the Zune store.
Built-in FM radio - big whoop - I've never understood why this is such a desired feature.
30 GB hard drive.

I like the DJ/Share mode, although I wonder how much it would be used. I could certainly see people in a younger demographic than me sharing their music with friends, etc.

It looks like Microsoft finally gets that it is not about the device itself, but about the overall experience. If they can make that experience better than the iPod, they have a chance. I can see the DJ/Share features being a real plus in this web 2.0 world. But let's keep in mind that Microsoft really isn't that good with "experience".

2 comments:

2poppy said...

I struggle to see how the RIAA would support a device that would allow music to be shared with four others. They're so paranoid and restrictive about how new technology affects music. Ultimately, it might be difficult for Microsoft to fully develop relationships with record companies as a result.

I wish someone would go through the trouble of coming up with an AM radio solution. I've read up on it and understand the technical complexities involved in such small devices, but I'd love it to be able to catch the Cubs games (and NPR natch). FM radio is a lost cause. To truly be progressive, why not team up with Sirius or XM?

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that "promotional copies" means that somehow the quality has been compromised or that it's not the full song or something.