Wine Journal for iPhone and iPod Touch

Friday, December 02, 2005

DumbDeck iPod Cassette Adapter

Griffin Technology SmartDeck Cassette Adapter
As a big fan of the steering controls on my Nissan Maxima, I had high hopes for Griffin's SmartDeck. Let's just say it's not so smart, at least not in my vehicle.

My first huge complaint is that the tape adapter is extremely LOUD in the cassette deck. I'm not able to crank the volume loud enough in the car to overcome the annoying noise of the adapter itself.

My second even bigger complaint is that it just doesn't work. "Forwarding" the tape adapter does not forward the iPod. It just makes the noise of the cassette adapter LOUDER and stops the music from playing. No amount of adjusting, tinkering, etc. will make it work. I'm sure it works in other cars - it just doesn't in mine.

Even if it did work, I would never be able to get over the annoying noise of the adapter. This cassette adapter is way over-hyped. Buyer beware.

**UPDATE** When calling Griffin to obtain an RMA number, they quized me about the car and the reason for the return. They were very nice and understanding. And they didn't even charge me the normal 20% restocking fee.

No comments: